South Africa Aquatics Society

South Africa Aquatics Society

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Killifish fry dying

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
johanbosman

PostSubject: Killifish fry dying   Wed 26 Sep 2012, 15:02

Hey everyone

My killifish eggs hatched.13 in total.2 days after hatching I transfered them to a 1 foot tank with aged treated water.Same temp as hatching tray.22 deg C.

The next morning I had only 1 fry left.

Any advice?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/groups/512920725398648/
nesretep

PostSubject: Re: Killifish fry dying   Thu 27 Sep 2012, 03:45

change in Ph perhaps?, can happen regardless of water temperature ie:ph was different in new container, could be high ammonia, difficult to say really, especially as I am not one of the killi fundi's that we have round here, I'm sure one of them may be able to help, though I think they will probably ask you for water peramaeters, gh, ph, kh ammonia and that stuff< regardless if I were you I would still check it anyway. Hopefully assistance will arrive soon, good luck.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Barries
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Killifish fry dying   Mon 01 Oct 2012, 12:58

Sorry to hear about you loss Johan! It can be a zillion things or just mother nature dealing out spades! I can share the method I use.I hatch the eggs in a cat litter plastic box,its about 1 ft by 1.5ft by 4 inch high. I use a lot of plants and take water from the parents tank.I do very little water changes on the fry, 25% a week using water from the parent tank again.I keep the fry in the box until they are between 6mm to 10mm then I throw the whole lot into a empty tank and add water to the tank from the parents tank until the tank is half way full. Semi- annuals are tricky to get right the first few times but once you got the trick they are a breeze.I hope my method helps you,if anyone can share a different method please do!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Killifish fry dying   

Back to top Go down

Killifish fry dying
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1