South Africa Aquatics Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

soil substrate for planting

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
nesretep

soil substrate for planting Empty
PostSubject: soil substrate for planting   soil substrate for planting EmptyTue 13 Nov 2012, 19:30

By rights this should be in a plants, or planted tank section, but as we do not have one yet (oversight), I wil do a quick post here.

I had meant to do this sunday evening already, but was busy with another DIY project, which I will post later this month.

Now at the last meeting, a few mentions were made about starting up some decent planted aquariums and the setting up and costs, I recall Barries mentioning some one, and it may even be the same person I am going to mention.

Go and do a search on Diane Walstad, she uses potting soil, her method is well proven and documented, lasts for ages, and most importantly to us, is quite literally dirt cheap.

Hope this may help some of you out.
Back to top Go down
johanbosman

PostSubject: Re: soil substrate for planting   soil substrate for planting EmptyWed 14 Nov 2012, 13:30

thank you for the share.this is a great way to do a planted tank if funding is a problem.My only concern is, how do we know that the potting soil or top soil is 100% chemical free.Or are there ways to make your own.I'm really not a garden person so I don't know scratch
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/512920725398648/
nesretep

PostSubject: Re: soil substrate for planting   soil substrate for planting EmptyThu 15 Nov 2012, 02:16

Good question Johan, I would guess that any place selling the soild should be able to tell you, especially if it is from a nursery, I could also guess that the cheaper it is the less likely it is to have anything added to it, but that is just speculation.
Back to top Go down
Barries
Admin

PostSubject: Re: soil substrate for planting   soil substrate for planting EmptySat 17 Nov 2012, 21:07

Hello guys! Thanks for the info! I've read a lot about planted tanks and every person has his or her own Top secret substrait lol! I'm planning on starting a planted tank outside,nothing spesial or fancy! Ok maybe 2 tanks lol no filters or air just substrait! I've read an article about using cheap kitty litter, I may try that in 1 of the tanks.My time is very limited so I can't spend time on 2 tanks! I'm going to let nature run its coarse and see what happens!
Back to top Go down
johanbosman

PostSubject: Re: soil substrate for planting   soil substrate for planting EmptyMon 19 Nov 2012, 13:09

please keep us up to date with what happens.I'm also going to try the top soil method and see what happens.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/512920725398648/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: soil substrate for planting   soil substrate for planting Empty

Back to top Go down

soil substrate for planting
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
South Africa Aquatics Society :: General :: DIY-
Jump to: