South Africa Aquatics Society
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Filter system for tank wall.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
johanbosman

Filter system for tank wall. Empty
PostSubject: Filter system for tank wall.   Filter system for tank wall. EmptyWed 14 Nov 2012, 14:00

[img][/img][img][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][/img]

How would you guys do a filter and heating sytem for something like this.Keeping in mind to keep costs as low as possible.

It will be 20 x 1foot tanks.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/512920725398648/
nesretep

PostSubject: Re: Filter system for tank wall.   Filter system for tank wall. EmptyThu 15 Nov 2012, 02:22

being in a dedicated fish room would be cheapest if you have one, thus allowing you te keep the room temperature constant, ensuring the tanks remain at a constant temperature. If you have a drill bit and drill with some silicone and piping you could go for a sump design, using a continuose flow ssytem, and get away with inle requiring one or perhaps two heaters, kinda of like some of the systems for betta fish (ust completed mine, will post when I have more time). All I can think of for know, apologies, been a loong rough day.
Back to top Go down
Barries
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Filter system for tank wall.   Filter system for tank wall. EmptySat 17 Nov 2012, 21:20

Great idea Johan! The people abroad has been using the same method for years mate! Interlink all the aquariums and us 1 sump filter, Nes and myself has been talking about it for awhile now,I can't use the method in my fishroom because the cost and time involved to change all my tanks.I've got a load of killi-fry growing out.The heating is always a problem,I heat my fishroom meaning that I gave heaters in all my bigger tanks and then it heats the room, ask Nes what it feels liuke to visit my fishroom? Lol ok I've got 8 big-ish tanks outside that are inter-linked with a sump(no filter just a sump) each tank has its own filter build in so why make another filter?!? Everything is connected and the tanks are ready but! Its still to chill during the early morning hoiur to add fish to the tanks. I will start the pump next week.Nes can take photos and upload them lol I'm to lazy to take photos lol.
Back to top Go down
johanbosman

PostSubject: Re: Filter system for tank wall.   Filter system for tank wall. EmptyMon 19 Nov 2012, 13:15

This is going to be my december project.Just going to do 8 tanks to start off with but going to put everything in place to add more tanks later on.Thinking of something like this.

[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][/img]

[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][/img]
Back to top Go down
tomk

tomk

PostSubject: Re: Filter system for tank wall.   Filter system for tank wall. EmptyMon 19 Nov 2012, 21:44

Looks good Johan, apart from that I worry about how you are going to regulate the return flow, so that all tanks is getting the same amount of water returned to it. Your diagram makes me think the first tank in line will get the bulk of the return, with the last tank virtually nothing. Compound this over 16 tanks and you will have a problem. What size return pump are you going to employ? I think a solution might be a valve in each tanks vertical, down, return section, tuning each one separately. That way you might be able to balance it by opening and closing them separately, thereby forcing water to the furthest point.

The overflow idea looks good, subject to it being able to drain the volume coming in. In other words it must have a sufficient diameter.

In case of a power failure, your sump must be big enough to handle the overflow till it stops.
Back to top Go down
johanbosman

PostSubject: Re: Filter system for tank wall.   Filter system for tank wall. EmptyTue 20 Nov 2012, 10:37

I'm looking at a regulating valve for each tank.The second option is to maybe make only 2 shelves but double in length to the drawing so you don't need a huge return pump to lift the water 2 meter upwards from the sump.Do you guys think a 2 footer per 10 x 1 footers will work out? Is there a way to work out what kind of return pump I must use or will it be a trial and error thing Question
Back to top Go down
tomk

tomk

PostSubject: Re: Filter system for tank wall.   Filter system for tank wall. EmptyTue 20 Nov 2012, 14:58

Regulating valve sounds so expensive and complicated. I would go for a normal, cheap PVC valve. With that you can open and close it just enough, so to regulate the flow.

As far as a pump goes, you will have to work out the volume of water you want to move, coupled to velocity. Diameter of the pipe and number of tanks will be of big importance. Once you know the volume and height, you can look for a pump bigger than what you need, but that is adjustable. That is another great volume regulator. I use a pump like that (adjustable) with my sump and overflow and without it, I think it would be impossible to keep my water level in the tank just where I want it.
Back to top Go down
johanbosman

PostSubject: Re: Filter system for tank wall.   Filter system for tank wall. EmptyTue 20 Nov 2012, 15:51

Ha ha ha sorry I meant a normal pvc valve.My bad.

I will work everything out and go from there.Still want to play around with the configuration and see what I want to do.I have two lekke big pumps,not sure about the specs but I think they will work.Have to test and see.
Back to top Go down
nesretep

PostSubject: Re: Filter system for tank wall.   Filter system for tank wall. EmptySun 25 Nov 2012, 01:00

Might I suggest rotating you sump through 180%, this will the allow you to eliminate the extra bend in your "feeder" pipe, also shortening the length that your paump has to move the water, hopefully giving you a slightly stronger (more even) flow and causing slightly less strain on the pump.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Filter system for tank wall.   Filter system for tank wall. Empty

Back to top Go down

Filter system for tank wall.
Page 1 of 1